Discount Codes Add-on allows you to easily create friction-less discount codes for running promotions, making price reductions or simply rewarding your users.
Install the Discount Codes Add-on
Discount Codes is a Basic add-on, available with a Paid Member Subscriptions Hobbyist or Pro license only.
After purchasing the add-on, the .zip file will be available for download under your account page by clicking the “Add-ons Download” button.
Once downloaded, you can install the add-on as a normal WordPress plugin, by uploading the .zip file in your WordPress Admin -> Plugins -> Add New -> Upload Plugin.
Alternatively, you can install the Discount Codes add-on by extracting the folder found inside the archive and uploading the entire folder via FTP to your /wp-content/plugins folder found inside your WordPress install.
- Paid Member Subscriptions – version 1.5.0 or higher
Creating Discount Codes
To create Discount Codes you will need to go to Paid Member Subscriptions -> Discount Codes and there you will see the “Add New” button. After you click on the “Add New” button you will see the “Add New Discount Code” Panel with all the settings.
Discount Codes Settings
In the “Add New Discount Code” Panel you will be able to set up your Discount Codes.
What settings can we use:
- Title – Here we set up the title of the Discount Code
- Promotion Code/Voucher – Here we set up the code which will be used by our users
- Type – We can set a Percent or a Fixed Amount for our Discount Code
- Amount* – If the type is set to Percent we can use numbers from 1 – 100 (free) and if it is set to “Fixed Amount” we will insert the desired value
- Subscription(s)* – Here we check the Subscription(s) to which the Discount Code should be applied to
- Maximum Uses – Here we can set up how many times the Discount Code can be used. For unlimited uses insert “0”
- Start Date – If we click the empty field box a calendar will appear that we can use to choose the Starting Date. Leave blank for no start date
- Expiration Date* – Here we can choose the Expiration Date of our Discount Code. We can use the calendar box if we click on the empty field. Leave blank for no expiration
- Status – We can set up the Discount Code to be Active or Inactive
- Recurring Payments* – If we check to “Apply discount to all future recurring payments (not just the first one)” the Discount Code will be applied to all future purchases (Recurring Payments)
- The currency can be changed in Paid Member Subscriptions -> Settings -> Payments -> Currency
- If you don’t see any Subscription Plan you will need to create one
- The Expiration Date should not be set in the past otherwise the Discount Code will not work
- You can set the Renewal Feature to “Customer opts in for automatic renewal”, “Always renew automatically” or “Never renew automatically”. The Subscription Plan Renewal Feature can overwrite this functionality. This Renewal Feature is available only if you have already installed and activated the Recurring Payments for PayPal Standard Add-on, PayPal Pro and PayPal Express Add-on or Stripe Add-on
Now your Discount Code is set up and the only thing you need to do now is to click on the “Save Discount” button.
You can re-edit the Discount Code if you missed something, deactivate or delete it from the Discount Codes page. You can search for a specific Discount Code using the Search field or sort the table based on the title or filter it based on a date.
Using Discount Codes
In our example we will use:
- Paid Member Subscription in Test Mode
- PayPal Standard as the Payment Gateway
- Gold Subscription Plan – $70 / 1 year
- $25 Summer Promotion – promotion25 Discount Code
Discount Codes can be used inside the Registration Form when a new member registers for the first time into your website. This is what the user sees:
After Registration the user will be taken to PayPal to login and to complete the payment. The user will pay $45 for the Gold Subscription Plan since he used the $25 Discount Code.
This is how the Payment with the Discount Code looks like in Paid Member Subscriptions -> Payments.
Users can use the Discount Code inside the Account Form when they want to Retry the Payment or when they want to upgrade their Subscription Plan.
Retry the Payment
There are cases when the user doesn’t have enough money inside his PayPal Account or on his Credit Card and he can’t complete the payment. In this case the account is created for that user and he can login inside his Account to Retry the Payment.
Inside the Account the user will need to click on the “View Details” link to see the “Retry Payment” link.
Clicking on the “Retry Payment” link will take the user to the Retry Payment Form where he can use the Discount Code.
Upgrading the Subscription Plan
In order to upgrade a Subscription Plan the user will need to login inside his Account and to click on the “View Details” link.
After clicking on the “View Details” link the user will need to click on the Upgrade link.
The Upgrade link will take the user to the Upgrade Form where he can use the Discount Code.
List of Subscription Plans Form
Registered users that didn’t purchase a Subscription Plan can purchase one if they login and access the List of Subscription Plans Form.
Inside the List of Subscription Plans Form they can select a Subscription Plan and also they can use a Discount Code.
After purchase the user will see the active Subscription Plan inside the List of Subscription Plans Form.
Wrong Discount Code
If we setup the Discount Code to work only by purchasing the Gold Subscription Plan, we can’t use it when purchasing a Silver Subscription Plan.