Profile Builder has been tested and is fully compatible with two third party plugins that allow you to Import or Export users in WordPress.
Until we finalize developing our built in Import / Export Users Add-on, we’ll be offering support for importing or exporting your users via these tools.
So if you’re looking for an easy way to Import / Export users from/into a .CSV file feel free to use the step by step guide below.
Importing Users from a .CSV file
1. Download and install Import users from CSV with meta plugin
2. Using Profile Builder make sure to create all your desired Extra Fields Types, before you Import, giving them the same meta names as the ones from the .CSV file and also set the Overwrite Existing option to Yes
This way after the Import you will be able to Edit and Manage all the imported Extra Fields Types via Profile Builder.
3. The .CSV file that you want to import needs to have a certain structure, so the import plugin works correctly:
1. The 1st column from your .CSV file needs to be Username and the 2nd one needs to be Email. If the Username and Email columns match existing entries in your database, that user will be updated, else a new user will be created
2. The 3rd column should be Password and if it’s empty, the passwords of the users will not be touched, if you enter a value here, this will be the new users password; if you do not create this column, the users password will be automatically generated by WordPress
3. The next columns should be the meta names that you created in Profile Builder -> Manage Fields for the fields that you want to Import
4. Download a .CSV sample file
4. The Import users from CSV with meta Add-on settings will be located under Tools -> Import users from CSV
Choose if you want to update existing users, the role that new users will receive, if you want to update the role for existing users, your .CSV file, choose what should the plugin do with empty cells and also if you want to send emails, then click Start Importing.
After importing, you will see the imported custom fields being displayed twice in the Back-end User Profile. You will need to disable the Import plugin for them to only be showed once and correct.
Exporting Users to a .CSV file
1. Download and install the WP Smart Export plugin
2. Once activated the plugin settings will be located under Dashboard -> WP Smart Export
You’ll be able to select which fields you wish to export and set the format.
3. Click Export to CSV and you’re done. Once you click the button, you’ll be prompted with a .CSV file containing all the user data and metadata selected including Extra Fields Types created and managed with Profile Builder.