Through the years of doing support for our WordPress plugins we received numerous requests for little features or customizations that our clients wanted. All of our products make use WordPress actions and filters, so for many of the available functionalities, you can change the outcome or modify it to your liking using a hook.
While searching for and using hooks isn’t a problem for users with developer experience, our customer base is large and has different qualifications.
There’s always the option to keep on adding extra options and settings in the plugin, but because we want to keep our plugins clean and simple, we decided against cluttering the interface.
Solving the issue
Most of these customization requests were handled through snippets of custom code that we sent to our users who were requesting them.
This approach was not ideal, because not everyone would be able to benefit from them, so we wanted to make them available to more users. Thus, the Developer Knowledge Base area of our documentation was born.
This page helped our users a lot, but manually adding the code to your website and modifying parameters or messages from a function wasn’t exactly natural and comfortable for everyone.
Now we take this a step further by providing an interface for these popular customizations through the Customization Toolbox add-on for Profile Builder.
The add-on is Free and works with any version of Profile Builder. The available options might differ based on the Profile Builder version you are running (Free, Hobbyist or Pro).
To download it, go to the add-on page and then manually upload the archive on your website by going to Dashboard -> Plugins -> Add New.
After you activate it, you’ll be able to find the settings under the Profile Builder menu, by going to the Toolbox page.
The available options are organized in a tabbed interface. Most of the options will only need you to enable them, while some others are requiring extra settings. You can check out the documentation page here.
Current Feature List
- Allow or deny email domains from registering
- Bypass Email Confirmation on specific forms
- Remember me checked by default
- Remove validation from the back-end profile page
- Consider ‘Anyone can Register’ WordPress option
- Save Admin Approval status in usermeta
- Redirect ‘/author’ page if user is not approved
- Save ‘Last Login’ date as usermeta
- Save ‘Last Profile Update’ date as usermeta
- Make Datepicker fields start on Monday
- Hide Repeater Fields from the back-end profile page
- Always capitalize ‘First Name’ and ‘Last Name’ default fields
- Ban certain words from being used in fields (can affect: username, first name, last name)
- Change placeholder text for Search box
- Modify base URL for Single Userlisting
- Make the Single Userlisting URLs work with user nicename
- Remove repetition counts from Faceted Menus
- Resend Activation Email
- Format Date
The add-on is in no way comprehensive and cannot cover all aspects from the plugin, but it strives to do so. We are also looking to expand it in the future by adding more features.
If you have any suggestions or other type of feedback, either leave a comment below or open a ticket via our support page.
To download the add-on, click on the button below:
Since we wrote this article, a few updates have been released for the Customization Toolbox add-on, fixing some things but also adding new features.
New features available with the latest version:
* automatically generate passwords for users
* change the After Registration redirect default timer
* unique Display Names for users
* option to make the Edit Other Users dropdown show when the 5000 users limit is reached
* modify text and state of the Send Credentials checkbox (e.g.: hidden and checked by default)
New features available with the latest version (1.0.5):
* redirect users to a page if they have empty required fields
* allow users with the ‘delete_users’ capability to see the Admin Approval and the list of Unconfirmed Email Addresses
* option to update existing meta names in the database if the meta name for a field is changed
* bypass Email Confirmation when the registration happens through the Social Connect add-on
Make sure to update the add-on manually if you wish to benefit from these extra features.
Subscribe to get early access
to new plugins, discounts and brief updates about what's new with Cozmoslabs!