Its purpose is to make WordPress a more powerful CMS by giving you fine-grain control over the users of your site.
So what does this plugin do:
- Edit Roles: Edit your user roles and their capabilities.
- New Roles: Create new roles for use on your site.
- Content Permissions: Adds a meta box on your write post/page editor that allows you to restrict content to specific roles.
- Widgets: Adds a login form widget and user-listing widget that you can use in any widget area on your site.
- Shortcodes: Creates shortcodes that you can use to restrict or allow access to certain parts of your posts and pages (or any other shortcode-capable area).
- Template Tags: New functions for use within your WordPress theme for various things.
- Private Blog: Allows you to create a private blog that can only be accessed by users that are logged in (redirects them to the login page).
I personally can’t wait for future developments of this plugin. It takes WordPress one step closer to full user management without having to code it yourself 🙂