Have you ever wanted to create your own WordPress theme? If yes then you must know of all the tutorials out there. The problem is that most of them are incomplete. But not any more!
Ian Stewart from ThemeShaper released, what I consider, the best step-by-step tutorial series for those who want to learn how to build their own WordPress theme from scratch.
In only 11 individual lessons this WordPress Themes Tutorial is going to show you how to build a powerful, up-to-date, WordPress Theme from scratch. As we go along I’ll explain what’s happening including (for better or worse) my thinking on certain techniques and why I’m choosing one path over another.
Here’s the list of features your finished theme will have:
- All the search-engine optimization you’ll really need
- Including google-supported Microformat markup
- Valid and logical semantic markup structure than can be used to create ANY layout
- Smart default CSS layouts
- Dynamic Body, post and comment classes
- Separated trackbacks and threaded comments
- 2 widget areas coded to disappear when they’re empty
- And all the typical WordPress stuff you expect from a theme
If you’re still not convinced… well…you should still read them. Here are all the links to the tutorials!
- Theme Development Tools
- Creating a Theme HTML Structure
- Template and Directory Structure
- The Header Template
- The Index Template
- The Single Post, Post Attachment, & 404 Templates
- The Comments Template
- The Search Template & The Page Template
- The Archive, Author, Category & Tags Template
- The Sidebar Template
- Reset-Rebuild Theme CSS & Define Your Layouts
Subscribe to get early access
to new plugins, discounts and brief updates about what's new with Cozmoslabs!
5 thoughts on “How To Create a WordPress Theme – a tutorial series by Ian Stewart”
You’ve inspired me to break out Thematic for some more tinkering. I love that framework…have strayed from it in favor of other prefabbed templates, mostly for clients…but I need to bust out a new design. When it’s time for a new design, always turn to the child theme lessons and I’m sure these tuts will come in handy.
I am very good at custom WP themes, but little stuck while doing framework and child themes…..i did my own SEO theme this is nice post
Nice post! But here is another one on creating wordpress theme http://morzdesign.com/tutorial-how-to-create-a-wordpress-theme-from-scratch/
Thanks a lot!